Hungarian apple cake
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ cup of warm water
- 1 pkg. of yeast or 2½ tsp granulated yeast
- ½ stick of butter
- ¾ cup scalded milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 to 4 lbs of baking apples, washed, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Heat milk to scalding, then add butter and 1½ tbs of sugar, stir well until butter and sugar are dissolved.
- In small bowl, add yeast to water, with the other 1½ tbsp of sugar.
- Put 2 cups of flour in large bowl and add cooled milk, yeast mixture, eggs and salt.
- Beat well.
- Add the additional flour and work until dough comes away from sides of the bowl.
- Dough should be very soft and sticky (if too thick, add a few teaspoons of warm water).
- Cover and let rise till double in bulk.
- When dough is ready, grease pan generously with butter, do not flour.
- Put a third of the dough in each pan, butter your hands, (otherwise the dough will stick to your hands).
- Using your fingers push dough to outer edges of pan, the dough will not want to stay there, but as you push apple slices down into the dough diagonally and over lapping like tiles on a roof, it will remain in place.
- Arrange the apple slices in a concentric spiral close together.
- Sprinkle each kuchen with a third of the topping and dot with butter.