Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Traditional biscuits baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I, packed in food parcels, and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches. These are still a big tradition in Australia today. The freshly made are wonderful to serve with coffee or tea. This recipe makes about 35 pieces.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 125g (4oz) butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 300 °F (150 °C).
- Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut together.
- Melt syrup and butter together.
- Mix soda with boiling water and add to melted butter and syrup.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Place 1 tablespoonfuls of mixture on greased tray (allow room for spreading).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Loosen while warm, cool on trays.