Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8-10
- 1½ cups washed dry beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped ham or ham bone
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put beans in water and boil 2 minutes.
- Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour.
- Add chopped onion to beans.
- Bring to a boil and gently simmer 2 to 2½ hours, or until beans are tender.
- Add ham or ham bone and cook for 1 hour.
- Add more water if needed.
- 15 minutes before done, remove 1 cup beans, mash and return to soup (this will thicken soup).