It's a sweet, fruity, nutty delicacy to be savored with loved ones.
- 1 cup gorgod (skinless whole wheat)
- 3 ½ quarts water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup California apricots, finely chopped
- 1 cup raisins (currants or yellow)
- ½ cup pistachios
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup finely chopped filberts (hazelnuts)
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ toasted pecans or walnuts
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Pomegranate seeds
- In a 6-quart pot, combine wheat and water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Cover and let rest overnight.
- Remove cover. Return to simmer. Simmer gorgod until water begins to thicken. The lower the simmer, the “whiter” the pudding will remain. After about 1 ½ to 2 hours of simmering, add the sugar and continue to simmer. The pudding will begin to take on a thicker consistency.
- While wheat is simmering, combine fruit, pistachios and pine nuts in a small saucepan with water. Bring to a gentle simmer and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. Thoroughly drain. Add to pudding when pudding is cooled so that fruit will not bleed color into pudding.
- Pour into serving bowl. Garnish with filberts, slivered almonds, pecans or walnuts and cinnamon.
- Pomegranate seeds should either be incorporated into pudding uncooked or served separately as a garnish.