Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Batch will make about 55 Cookies.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten until fluffy and bubbly
- 1 tsp. anise extract
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
Note: Depending on preference, you may use all butter (1 cup), all shortening (1 cup) or half and half. I prefer half and half so the cookies have a cake like texture and yet are still flavorful.
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. anise extract
- Nonpareils sprinkles (Multi-color are traditional, but if you can find red and green for Christmas that works too).
Note: You will need more frosting for the whole batch of cookies. I usually will make 2 cups of confectioners sugar and a tsp of anise per cup for the entire batch. It really depends on how much of the anise flavor you want to come through.
- Preheat the oven at 350 °F.
- Melt shortening and butter in a pot. Allow pot to cool before adding to additional ingredients.
- Mix eggs, sugar, anise, lemon and vanilla extracts into a large bowl.
- Pour cooled, melted shortening and butter into the large bowl of ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Begin to add the flour mixture into the sugar mixture a little at a time.
- Mix well until it begins to create a soft dough.
- Place a spoonful of dough onto a cookie sheet. I like to roll the spoonful of dough into a ball and place on a shortening greased cookie sheet. (You may also you parchment paper rather than greasing the cookie sheet).
- Bake for 15 minutes, 20 if you have made them larger. They should not brown on top.
- While cookies are baking, begin mixing your frosting mixture.
- Once the 15/20 minutes are up, dip the warm cookies into the frosting mixture. I dip twice until completely covered.
- Add sprinkles
- Allow to cool before serving. Or, if you have a hangry boyfriend/husband, eat while still warm!
Buon appetito!! Enjoy!