- 1 pkt quick-rising yeast
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 4 cup all-purpose whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- melted butter to brush tops optional
- nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 °F degrees.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.
- Sift flour, soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt into bowl.
- Cut in shortening, slowly mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Add buttermilk, then yeast while slowly stirring mixture until all flour is dampened.
- Knead on floured board for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Roll out to desired thickness and cut with biscuit cutter.
- Dough may be refrigerated in an airtight container for several days to use as needed.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and place biscuits to cook.
- Bake about 12 to 15 minutes.