Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Recipe submitted by DaVita dietitian Sarah from Ohio via www.davita.com
- Yields: 12 muffins
- 12 muffin papers
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ cups raw apple, peeled and cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 °F and place muffin papers in muffin pan.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, oil and water; mix well.
- Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture.
- Batter will be lumpy.
- Fold in apple pieces.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Mix remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Try freezing leftover muffins and reheating in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds for a quick snack.
- Sugar can be replaced with Splenda sugar-free sweetener. Be aware muffins will not rise as high and may cook 3 to 5 minutes faster than the recipe's expected baking time.
- Always consult with your physician, dietitian and other members of your dialysis team before partaking in any activity or trying any
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving(1 muffin):
- 132 Calories | 3g Protein | 15g Carbs | 0.8g Fiber | 35mg Cholesterol | 117mg Sodium | 46mg Potassium | 34mg Phosphorus | 10mg Calcium
- Renal and Renal Diabetic Food Choices: 1 starch | 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Choices: 1