Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe is common to the Ethiopian Jews (Phalashi). My understanding is that these are NOT unique to them.
- ½ kg red lentils
- 2 large onions
- ½ cup oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp paprika; sweet or hot
- 1 garlic
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- Sort the lentils and soak in tap water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse in running water and drain.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. peel and mash the garlic.
- Heat the oil in large pan and saute the onion until golden.
- Add tomato paste and paprika and mix.
- Add half the water and the garlic,ginger pepper and salt.
- Stir well and then add the rest of the water, stir again, cover and bring to boil.
- When the water boil, add the Lentils, lower the flame and cook 20–30 minutes, until the Lentils soften.
- Serve hot.