This recipe is common to the Ethiopian Jews (Phalashi). My understanding is that these are NOT unique to them.
- ½ kg red lentils
- 2 large onions
- ½ cup oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp paprika; sweet or hot
- 1 garlic
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- Sort the lentils and soak in tap water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse in running water and drain.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. peel and mash the garlic.
- Heat the oil in large pan and saute the onion until golden.
- Add tomato paste and paprika and mix.
- Add half the water and the garlic,ginger pepper and salt.
- Stir well and then add the rest of the water, stir again, cover and bring to boil.
- When the water boil, add the Lentils, lower the flame and cook 20–30 minutes, until the Lentils soften.
- Serve hot.