Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- ½ cup onions (finely chopped)
- ½ cup celery (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10.5 ounces) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3-5 dashes poultry seasoning
- 3 cups cooked turkey or chickens (very finely chopped)
- 2 cups white flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup vegetable shortening
- ⅓ cup ice water
- Sauté onion and celery in butter.
- Stir in remaining ingredients for filling.
- Sift together flour, curry powder (if using), and salt.
- Using either a butter knife, or a pastry blender cut in shortening until the mixture looks like a coarse meal.
- Sprinkle in ¼ cup of the ice water, reserving the rest.
- Toss with a fork to mix.
- Quickly press the dough into a ball and set aside.
- If there is any flour left in the bowl, use reserved water to dampen and then press into the rest of the dough.
- There are two ways to do this next step, the second being the one i came up with myself.
- On a floured surface roll dough ⅛ in thick, and then cut into twelve 6 inch rounds or make twelve balls of dough and roll into 6 inch rounds.
- Spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling onto half of each of the rounds.
- Brush the margin of each round with a little warm water.
- Fold the empty half over.
- Use a fork to seal the edges, and then prick the top here and there.
- Use a spatula to carefully transfer the finished turnovers to a cookie sheet.
- Cover loosely with wax paper and freeze overnight.
- Package the turnovers in foil or freezer bags and label as necessary.
- When ready to cook preheat over to 425 °F.
- Place desired number of turnovers on a cookie sheet and cook for as little as 15 minutes.