- hoagie rolls or any suitable bread, sliced 1½ inches thick
- 4 slices bacon, fried crisp and reserved
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 – 5 vidalia onions or sweet onions, peeled,thinly sliced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed,peeled,finely minced
- 5 cans Campbell's beef broth (or 4 Knorr beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 7 cups hot water)
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce (do not substitute)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 – 1½ cups red wine (American)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 – 3 green onions or shallots, peeled,sliced thin
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Swiss gruyère
- Fry 4 strips of bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Reserve bacon fat for another use.
- Melt butter.
- Add onions and saute them 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir frequently until onions caramelize and are golden brown.
- Stir in garlic.
- In a large pot, combine onions, beef broth and Kitchen Bouquet.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour, * meanwhile, spray or spread bread of choice with a thin coating of butter.
- Toast lightly and place it in a 225 °F.
- Add wine and oregano to soup.
- Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add shallots and cook another 5 minutes.
- Season with black pepper.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 °F.
- Place oven dried bread in 4 ovenproof soup bowls.
- Ladle soup on top and sprinkle with crumbled crisp bacon.
- Cover top of bowls with cheese slices.
- Place in preheated oven and bake about 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.