Amalou, an almond paste from the Souss region of Morocco, is a real African delicacy. It is best served with hot bread, either baked or fried, or with pancakes.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1½ cups blanched almonds
- ½ cup walnut oil
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Firstly, heat the vegetable oil in a medium-sized pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the almonds and toss until they brown.
- Drain the almonds, making sure any excess water is removed, then mix them with the walnut oil and salt in a blender until they form a smooth paste.
- Add the honey and blend for another few seconds.
- Pour into an airtight jar and refrigerate.
- The paste will be good for two months from the day it is made.