Serving Size : 1
- 3 medium carrots peeled
- 1 medium caulifower stalks removed
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3/4 cup red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup jaggery (Indian palm sugar) -- grated
- Cut carrots lengthwise into four, or six, if very thick. Cut lengths into 1 1/2 inch stubs. Keep aside.
- Separate Cauliflower florets. Break to halves if very big. They should match size of carrot pieces.
- Add chilli, salt, turmeric. Toss well. Transfer to a clean dry bowl, Keep in sun for 4 days.
- Heat vinegar till warm. Add jaggery, stir. Heat further till vinegar is very hot, and jaggery has melted.
- Cool to room temperature. Add to sunned vegetables.
- Transfer to a clean dry pickle jar, close lid tightly.
- Marinate in a warm dark place for 5–6 days. Turn well with a spoon;
- Serve with chappatis, rices or just about anything.
- Making time: 1 hour (marinating 4 + 5 days)
- Makes: 1 kg pickle (approx.)
Shelflife: 3–4 months refrigerated