This soup makes one of my 4-year-old's favorite meals. We like to use tri-color alphabet pasta. Any small pasta would work however.
The recipe is based on the pasta e fagioli recipe found in the "Saved by Soup" cookbook by Judith Barrett.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 – 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 box chicken broth (about 4 cups)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice (about 2-3 fresh tomatoes)
- 1 can navy or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup alphabet pasta
- 1 – 2 tbsp fresh oregano, basil, and parsley (optional, and to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot
- Add onions, carrots and celery.
- Sauté for a few minutes until they are softened.
- Add chicken broth and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add beans and pasta.
- Return to a boil and cook until pasta is done, about 10 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle with spices before serving and top with Parmesan cheese.