Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
CRISP almond AND SESAME PASTRIES.- (Samsa-) Tunisia makes about 24
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- orange-flower water
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds, lightly toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, if liked
- about 4 oz filo pastry
- olive oil, for brushing
- lightly toasted sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Put the water and 1/2 cup of the Sugar in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and boiluntil syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and add the orange-flower water.Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl,stir together the ground almonds, orange zest, cinnamon if usingand remaining Sugar, then knead together the ingredients.
- Brush one sheet of filo with olive oil, keep the other sheetscovered with a damp cloth. Cut the oiled sheet into 3 lengthwisestrips. Place a small spoonful of filling at the bottom of eachstrip.
- Fold the sides over the filling then roll the pastry up along thelength.
- Brush inside the end of the pastry with oil and seal itto the roll.
- Brush with oil and put on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake the pastries for 15-20minutes until crisp and golden.
- Lower the pastries a few at a time into the hot syrup, leave forabout 3 minutes so the syrup enetrates the pastries.
- The remove to a plate and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- Leave until cold before serving.