Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 3 cup cake flour, sifted
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter or shortening
- 1½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs, unbeaten
- ½ cup almonds, finely chopped
- ½ cup raisins, finely cut
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift together three times.
- Cream butter thoroughly.
- Add sugar gradually, and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each.
- Add nuts and raisins and beat well.
- Add flour, alternately with milk, a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Bake in two greased 9-inch layer pans in moderate oven (375 °F) 25 minutes, or until done.
- Spread boiled frosting (see recipe) between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Decorate top of cake with wreath of holly, using pieces of maraschino cherries or red cinnamon candies for berries, and slices of angelica or citron for leaves and stems.
- Or decorate with poinsettias made of candied cherries.
- Slice cherries in rings, cut rings in half, and arrange to form petals of poinsettias.
- If desired, Lemon Butter Frosting (see recipe) may be used.