This recipe is perfect for family picnics and outings.
- 10 frankfurters
- 1 cup flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- oil (for frying)
- Pre-cook the frankfurters in oven at 350 °F for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Using a fork, work in the shortening in the dry mixture until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In another bowl, mix egg and milk, then add it to the dry mixture.
- Mix well.
- dip the frankfurters in the batter, then drop it into hot oil and fry until golden on each side.
- Serve corn dogs on stick, with mustard if desired.