Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Eritrean meat stew
- 1 cup onions; sliced
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 2 lbs meat with bone; beef, lamb or goat, cut in 3 inch-pieces
- 2 cloves garlic; sliced
- 1 tsp salt; to taste
- 1 fresh hot green chili;-sliced
- ¼ tsp gingerroot; crushed, fresh
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds; crushed
- ¼ tsp caraway; crushed
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ cups water
- In dry pan over medium heat, stir fry onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the oil and stir fry 1 minute longer.
- Add the meat and brown 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all of the spices and seasonings at one time and stir well.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook over moderate heat for about 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Should the curry dry out too quickly, add another ½ cup water.
- At the end of the 45 minutes, there should be very little sauce.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.