Wild rice, yellow squash, zucchini and lima beans plus tons of other veggies make this rice dish extremely nutritious.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Diabetic Gourmet Magazine
- Yield: 10 servings
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup long grain brown or wild rice
- pinch coarse salt to taste
- 1 medium yellow squash, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini squash, cubed
- 2 cups of baby lima beans
- 2 cups of whole-kernel corn
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted and cut into bit-sized strips
- ¼ cup sunflower seed or corn oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- In a large, deep pot over medium heat, bring the chicken stock or water to a rolling boil.
- Sprinkle in the rice and a pinch of salt, then lower the heat.
- Cover and steam for 20 minutes.
- Gradually add the squash, lima beans, peppers, and corn; stir well.
- Cover and steam for an additional 20 minutes.
- While this mixture cooks, warm the oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions, stirring briskly and cooking for about 5 minutes until garlic and onions are just glistening and translucent, but not brown.
- Add the remaining seasonings; stir thoroughly and remove from the heat.
- Stirring thoroughly, add these ingredients to the steaming rice and balance the seasonings and liquids.
- Steam for a final 5 minutes, covered.
- Fluff and serve.