Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Wild rice, yellow squash, zucchini and lima beans plus tons of other veggies make this rice dish extremely nutritious.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Diabetic Gourmet Magazine
- Yield: 10 servings
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup long grain brown or wild rice
- pinch coarse salt to taste
- 1 medium yellow squash, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini squash, cubed
- 2 cups of baby lima beans
- 2 cups of whole-kernel corn
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted and cut into bit-sized strips
- ¼ cup sunflower seed or corn oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- In a large, deep pot over medium heat, bring the chicken stock or water to a rolling boil.
- Sprinkle in the rice and a pinch of salt, then lower the heat.
- Cover and steam for 20 minutes.
- Gradually add the squash, lima beans, peppers, and corn; stir well.
- Cover and steam for an additional 20 minutes.
- While this mixture cooks, warm the oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions, stirring briskly and cooking for about 5 minutes until garlic and onions are just glistening and translucent, but not brown.
- Add the remaining seasonings; stir thoroughly and remove from the heat.
- Stirring thoroughly, add these ingredients to the steaming rice and balance the seasonings and liquids.
- Steam for a final 5 minutes, covered.
- Fluff and serve.