Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 3 med Eggplants (3 lb total)
- 7 tbsp oil, olive
- 3 garlic cloves; minced
- 2 tsp paprika, sweet
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper, Cayenne or
- 1/8 tsp Harissa
- pepper; freshly ground
- 3 -to 4 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp parsley; chopped
- 3 lemon wedges or
- 3 tomato wedges
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the stems off the Eggplants. Using a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife, peel the skin in 1/2 inch wide strips vertically down each Eggplant so you get a striped effect. Slice each Eggplant horizontally into 1/2 inch slices. Place in a colander and salt each slice. Let stand 30 minutes, then rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
2) Brush a baking sheet with 3 tablespoons of the oil. Lightly brush the Eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons oil and place in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until the slices are light golden brown on both sides.
4) Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Add the mashed Eggplant and fry very slowly, turned occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until the moisture evaporates. Stir in the lemon juice and cook 1 minute longer. Taste, and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
6) Serve it with warm country-style bread or pita.