- Put the carrots in a steamer basket set over boiling water.
- Steam for about 5 minutes, until barely tender.
- Reserve the cooking water and mix 5 tablespoons of it with the hot sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, diluted hot sauce, lemon juice, cumin, salt and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add the carrots, then partially cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced.
- Stir in the mint and serve at once.
- Excellent served with poultry or whitefish.