- Serves 6 to 8 as a soup course or 3 to 4 as a main course.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp garlic, minced
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 qt beef stock
- 2 cups carrot, sliced
- 1 lb summer squash, sliced
- ½ lb potato, peeled, sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 cup radiatorre, or small shells, stars, etc.
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh mint or oregano, garnish
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the Onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Working with abut 1 tsp of the mixture at a time, roll it between the palms of your hands to form balls.
- Place on a plate, cover loosely, and refrigerate for about 20 minutes before cooking.
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of the stock to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add as many meatballs at a time as will fit comfortably in the pan and cook, skimming off foam as necessary, until done, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon and set aside; cook the remaining meatballs in the same way.
- Strain and reserve the cooking liquid for another use.
- In a soup pot or large saucepan, combine he remaining 2 qts. stock, carrot, chayote, potatoes, and mint.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to low and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tend, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the Pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- About 5 minutes before the vegetables are done, dd the meatballs and Pasta to heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into preheat bowls and garnish with herb sprigs.
- Alternatively, pour into a container and refrigerate, uncovered, until col, ten tightly cover and store up to 3 days.
- Slowly reheat before garnishing and serving.