Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fried kibbi balls
- 32 oz (5 cups) fine burghul (cracked wheat)
- 32 oz finely ground lean meat (ask for kibbi meat if available) or a combination of half lamb and half beef.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion
- 1 green chile (serrano or jalapeno) very finely minced
- 1 cup iced water or ice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- 16 oz minced meat
- 2 tablespoons shortening, or peanut oil.
- 5 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup fried pine nuts
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- a pinch of salt
- a dash of ground cinnamon
- a dash of ground allspice
- Wash burghul under running water then soak in water for about 60 minutes.
- Drain, then press to remove moisture as much as possible.
- Mash onion in the food processor then add minced meat in batches.
- Remove and place aside.
- Mix meat mixture with burghul, salt, green chile, allspice, and cinnamon.
- Process well in batches into a firm paste.
- Knead mixture with wet hands into a smooth paste.
- Put in refrigerator for 30 minutes covered with a piece of wet texture.
- Fry chopped onion with a dash of salt in shortening until transparent.
- Add minced meat, salt and spices to onions and fry until cooked.
- Mix in pine nuts.
- Put filling aside.
- Divide paste into egg-sized balls dip your hands in cold water then roll each ball between the palms of your hands until smooth.
- Make a hole in the middle with your forefinger.
- Work finger round in the hole until you have a shell of even thickness.
- Fill hole with filling mixture and close opening.
- Moisten with cold water to seal well and to shape with two pointed sides.
- If any breaks appear in shell, close with wet fingers.
- Place balls on a tray.
- Heat oil in a pan then fry till brown evenly and cooked.
- Serve kibbi hot with tabouleh salad, or a Hess Cucumber Salad, or a creamy cucumber dressing made with yoghurt.