- Clean the black-eyed peas in running water.
- Soak them in water for at least a few hours or overnight.
- After soaking them, rub them together between your hands to remove the skins.
- Rinse to wash away the skins and any other debris.
- Drain them in a colander.
- Crush, grind, or mash the black-eyed peas into a thick paste.
- Add enough water to form a smooth, thick paste of a batter that will cling to a spoon.
- Add all other ingredients (except oil).
- Some people allow the batter to stand for a few hours (overnight in the refrigerator); doing so improves the flavor.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet.
- Beat the batter with a wire whisk or wooden spoon for a few minutes.
- Make fritters by scooping up a spoon full of batter and using another spoon to quickly push it into the hot oil.
- Deep fry the fritters until they are golden brown.
- Turn them frequently while frying (if the fritters fall apart in the oil, stir in a beaten egg, some cornmeal or crushed breadcrumbs).
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.