This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Dougherty Estate in Crandall, Texas in 1994.
Long, slow marinating in garlicky yogurt tenderizes, moistens and adds deep flavor, so you end up with skinless grilled chicken that's as delicious as it is nutritionally correct. Serve with soft pita or Arab flatbread and fresh yogurt.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 large cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain whole milk yogurt
- juice and pulp of 1 large lemon
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 large whole chicken breasts
- Put salt in a wide shallow non reactive bowl with garlic and mash together until you have paste.
- Add yogurt, lemon and pepper.
- Skin chicken breasts then remove all visible fat and separate halves.
- Bend each backward to break bones so pieces will lie flat.
- Add to the yogurt and turn so all surfaces are well coated.
- Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate.
- Allow to marinate overnight.
- Remove breasts from marinade and wipe off all but a thin film.
- Broil or grill about 6 inches from heat for 8 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately.