This soup is made from afang leaves, with meat, seafood, and palm oil. It is from Cross-river region bordering Nigeria.
- vegetable stock
- 1 pound meat, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 hot chile pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- several periwinkles
- 2 pieces dried, skin and bones removed
- 2 pounds afang leaves, cleaned, pounded with a mortar and pestle
- 1 pound waterleaf, cleaned and torn into pieces
- 1 cup dried prawns, crushed
- 2 cups red palm oil
- In a large Dutch oven bring a few cups of vegetable stock to the boil .
- Add meat to pot. Cook for a few minutes on high heat.
- Add onion and chile pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer.
- In a separate pan bring a few cups of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Place the Periwinkles in the boiling water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove snails from water.
- Use a small fork to remove the snails from their shells.
- Rinse the snail meat in cool water. Drain and sprinkle with lime or lemon juice.
- Add the snails the dried fish to the pot with the meat. Cover and simmer for several minutes.
- Add the greens (afang and waterleaf), and the crushed dried prawns.
- Pour palm oil into soup.
- Cover and continue to simmer until the greens are completely cooked and tender.
- Serve with Fufu or boiled yams.