Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This soup is made from afang leaves, with meat, seafood, and palm oil. It is from Cross-river region bordering Nigeria.
- vegetable stock
- 1 pound meat, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 hot chile pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- several periwinkles
- 2 pieces dried, skin and bones removed
- 2 pounds afang leaves, cleaned, pounded with a mortar and pestle
- 1 pound waterleaf, cleaned and torn into pieces
- 1 cup dried prawns, crushed
- 2 cups red palm oil
- In a large Dutch oven bring a few cups of vegetable stock to the boil .
- Add meat to pot. Cook for a few minutes on high heat.
- Add onion and chile pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer.
- In a separate pan bring a few cups of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Place the Periwinkles in the boiling water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove snails from water.
- Use a small fork to remove the snails from their shells.
- Rinse the snail meat in cool water. Drain and sprinkle with lime or lemon juice.
- Add the snails the dried fish to the pot with the meat. Cover and simmer for several minutes.
- Add the greens (afang and waterleaf), and the crushed dried prawns.
- Pour palm oil into soup.
- Cover and continue to simmer until the greens are completely cooked and tender.
- Serve with Fufu or boiled yams.