- Sift flour and salt into bowl.
- Beat eggs with butter and add to flour mixture.
- Add milk gradually, stirring only to mix.
- Add more milk if batter is too stiff.
- Cover, allow to stand 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, soak in cold water.
- Drain, remove bones and skin.
- Pound in mortar with hot pepper.
- Add scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme, allspice, and black pepper to taste.
- Stir into batter and stand 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in deep fryer (375 °F) and fry mixture by heaping tablespoons until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm.