This is a Malaysian pickle served as an appetizer.
- 1 cup vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemongrass, chop fine
- 1 tbsp galangal, chop fine
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric (either fresh or powder)
- 1 tsp chilli paste
- ½ cup carrots, julienne
- ½ cup cucumber, julienne
- ½ cup cauliflower, broken into florets
- ½ cup shallots, whole
- Bring vinegar, sugar, sesame seeds and water to boil.
- Add lemon grass, galangal, garlic, turmeric and chilli paste and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and cauliflower, simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add cucumber and onions.
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
- Drain and serve cold.