Beans with tomato sauce. For quick aboboi, use plain canned beans; heat them with pepper sauce to taste.
- 1 cup dried beans (red or pinto are preferred)
- 1¼ cups chopped onion
- ½ cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, fresh, or canned and drained
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or ¼ cup tomato purée
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (or 1 small green chili, chopped)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp ground shrimp or other dried fish
- Boil the beans with ¼ cup of the onions, briskly for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the fire and let soak for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Return the pot to the heat and simmer the beans until tender (about 1 hour). Drain. (You may use 2 cups canned beans, drained, to get to this point more quickly.)
- Fry the remaining onions in the oil in a large skillet.
- They should be soft (about 5 minutes). Do not brown them.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, pepper, and salt.
- Cook and stir over a moderately high heat for about 5 minutes, until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- Turn the heat down low and stir in the ground shrimp and the bean mixture.
- Cook and stir for 5 more minutes, or until beans are heated through.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with boiled plantain, rice, or fufu.