Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Beans with tomato sauce. For quick aboboi, use plain canned beans; heat them with pepper sauce to taste.
- 1 cup dried beans (red or pinto are preferred)
- 1¼ cups chopped onion
- ½ cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, fresh, or canned and drained
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or ¼ cup tomato purée
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (or 1 small green chili, chopped)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp ground shrimp or other dried fish
- Boil the beans with ¼ cup of the onions, briskly for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the fire and let soak for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Return the pot to the heat and simmer the beans until tender (about 1 hour). Drain. (You may use 2 cups canned beans, drained, to get to this point more quickly.)
- Fry the remaining onions in the oil in a large skillet.
- They should be soft (about 5 minutes). Do not brown them.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, pepper, and salt.
- Cook and stir over a moderately high heat for about 5 minutes, until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- Turn the heat down low and stir in the ground shrimp and the bean mixture.
- Cook and stir for 5 more minutes, or until beans are heated through.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with boiled plantain, rice, or fufu.