- Lamb in pickled gravy
- Ethnicity - Punjabi, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- Clean, debone and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Put in a vessel, add tumeric, salt and 1.5 litres of water, bring to boil, cover and simmer until tender.
- Drain and reserve the stock.
- Heat mustard oil to smoking, reduce heat to medium and add ghee.
- Then add sliced onions and saute until brown.
- Remove onions for garnishing.
- In the same fat fry red chilis till black, remove and discard the chilis.
- Then add mustard seeds, cloves and asafoetida, saute until the seeds begin to crackle.
- Add the cooked lamb, red chili powder, cumin seeds, kalonji, jaggery, ginger and garlic, fry till the lamb becomes brownish.
- Then add the reserved stock and lemon juice and simmer for a minute.
- Remove the vessel from the fire, add yoghurt, stir and return to heat and fry until the fat leaves the masala.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve garnished with fried onions.