Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Yield: 12 servings
Brownie layers Edit
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⅓ cups flour
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- Trace an 8 inch circle on a piece of waxed paper, using a cake pan as a guide.
- Place on a stack of 6 more pieces of waxed paper.
- Using the traced circle as a guide, cut through all pieces of paper, giving you 7 waxed paper rounds.
- Heat oven to 375 °F.
- Have 2 cookie sheets and an 8 inch spring-form pan ready.
- Brownie layers: whisk cocoa, water, egg and vanilla in a small bowl until blended and smooth.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat butter and sugar about 3 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in cocoa mixture (batter may look curdled) with mixer on low speed, gradually add flour until well blended (batter will be very stiff).
- Spread the 7 rounds of waxed paper out on counter top.
- Drop a level ⅓ cup batter in center of each round.
- Divide remaining ⅓ cup batter between rounds (about 2 teaspoons each).
- Moisten a cookie sheet with water.
- Place 2 waxed paper rounds on sheet (the water will stop them from slipping).
- Spread batter almost to edges of rounds.
- Bake 8 minutes or until surface looks dry and set but is slightly springy to the touch (while first batch bakes, spread out batter for next 2 layers).
- Cool baked layers on cookie sheet on wire rack 3 minutes.
- Put layers on waxed paper on a wire rack.
- Let cool completely.
- Bake and cool remaining layers.
- Meanwhile, line spring-form pan with plastic wrap, letting enough wrap extend over sides of pan to cover top when filled.
- Peel waxed paper off cooled brownie layers.
- Place 1 layer in bottom of pan.
- Spread evenly with 1 cup ice cream.
- Top with another brownie layer, then another cup ice cream.
- Repeat with 5 more brownie layers and the ice cream, ending with a brownie layer on top.
- Fold plastic wrap over top and freeze at least 8 hours or wrap airtight and freeze up to 1 month.
- To serve; remove sides of pan and peel plastic wrap down from sides.
- Lift cake off plastic wrap onto serving plate.