Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Midwest Living
- Prep: 45 minutes | Chill: 2 to 24 hours
- Makes 8 to 10 side-dish salads
- 6 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1 x 15oz can black beans, black-eyed peas, or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 x 10oz package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup chopped red, green, and/or yellow sweet pepper
- 1 cup peeled and cubed jícama or shredded carrot
- 1 cup diced cooked ham or chicken
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 oz Monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 x 8oz carton dairy sour cream
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- ½ cup sliced radishes
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Place 3 cups of the lettuce in the bottom of a 3-quart clear salad bowl.
- Layer ingredients in the following order: black beans, tomatoes, frozen corn, sweet pepper, jicama, remaining lettuce, ham, green onions, and cheese.
- For dressing: in a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, and chili powder.
- Spoon dressing over salad, sealing to edge of bowl.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours.
- To serve, garnish with radish slices and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Toss lightly to coat evenly to serve.
Nutritional information Edit
- 443 Calories | 35g Total Fat | 10g Saturated Fat | 45mg Cholesterol | 625mg Sodium | 23g Carbs | 5g Fiber | 13g Protein