Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 1 package dry yeast
- ½ cup warm milk (105 °F to 115 °F)
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour — divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg — beaten
- 1 teaspoon shortening — melted
- 1 cup pecans — chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk; let stand 5 minutes.
- Sift together 1½ cups flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
- Combine dissolved yeast, egg, shortening, pecans, and vanilla; mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a surface sprinkled with remaining ½ cup flour; knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a floured surface, and shape into a loaf.
- Place in a greased 7½ x 3 x 2-inch loaf-pan.
- Brush top with oil; cover and repeat rising procedure 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 °F for 40 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove bread from pan immediately; cool on wire rack.