Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: The American Heart Association Quick And Easy Cookbook, ©1995 by the American Heart Association
- Serves 4; 1 sandwich per serving
- vegetable oil spray
- egg substitute equivalent to 4 eggs
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp imitation bacon bits
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 2 x 6-inch white or whole-wheat pita bread rounds, split crosswise
- 8 fresh spinach leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 x 1-oz slices low-fat American or Swiss cheese
- Spray a medium skillet with vegetable oil.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg substitute, milk, bacon bits and pepper.
- Place skillet over medium heat and add egg mixture.
- Cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on the bottom and around the edges.
- Using a large spoon or spatula, lift and fold partially cooked eggs so uncooked portion flows underneath.
- Continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes, or until eggs are cooked throughout but still glossy and moist.
- Line each pita pocket with spinach and 1 slice of cheese.
- Spoon warm egg mixture into pita pockets.
This recipe relies on vegetable oil spray to keep foods from sticking without much fat. Do not spray near an open flame or other heat source. Vegetable oil sprays are flammable. Also, spray only onto cold cooking surfaces because vegetable oil sprays can burn or smoke if they are sprayed onto hot surfaces. Don't overspray. A 1-second spray coats as well as 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Hold the pan you are spraying over the sink so you don't make the floor or counter slippery. Always read and follow the manufacturer's directions before using.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1 sandwich):
- 185 Calories | 16g Protein | 18g Carbs | 5g Total Fat | 3g Saturated Fat | 0g Polyunsaturated Fat | 1g Monounsaturated Fat | 15mg Cholesterol | 701mg Sodium